At Sunset Properties Spain we have been advised of a new Royal Decree No. 235 which was formalised in Spain on 5 April 2013 and which will come into effect on 1 June 2013 requiring all property owners who have a property either for sale or for long term rent to obtain an Energy Performance Certificate (EPC) for their property.

The introduction of EPCs in Spain comes as a result of the European Directive for the Energy Performance of Buildings which applies to all member states with a clearly defined timetable of the measures which must be introduced.

An EPC comprises documents which indicate how energy efficient your property is and gives the property a standard energy and carbon emission efficiency grade from 'A' to 'G' where 'A' is the most efficient and 'G' is the least efficient.

When you receive your EPC you will also be given a report with advice on how to improve the energy rating for your property. The report will recommend cost effective measures which could be undertaken to improve the energy rating of the property.

Who needs an Energy Performance Certificate?
After 1 June 2013 every domestic property for sale or long term rent needs to have an EPC. This
applies to all properties currently for sale and those new to the market. However this does not apply to properties that are currently rented out on a long term basis as these will only require an EPC when a new tenancy is agreed. When this happens, the new tenant will have to be given a copy of the EPC.

For anyone considering selling their property, the EPC needs to be in place before your property can be advertised for sale. Energy ratings will have to be displayed alongside your property information. When you sell your house the Notary will need the original certificate.

How to obtain an Energy Performance Certificate for your property EPCs last for 10 years and can only be issued by certified and registered assessors including architects, technical architects and some engineers. The cost of the EPC depends on the size of your property – the larger your property, the more expensive the EPC will be – and it is the property owner who is responsible for paying for the certificate

An energy assessor will visit your property to take measurements and recordings of:
•air conditioning
•hot water system
•type of windows fitted
•type of insulation
•type of construction

These readings will then be entered online into one of the Government's approved programmes which will generate the rating for your property giving its energy efficiency and environmental impact.

What happens if you do not obtain an Energy Performance Certificate
The Government has indicated that fines ranging from €3,000 up to €600,000 will be levied on owners of property for sale and long term rent who do not comply with the new legislation. This applies to agents as well as private individuals. It is unclear at this stage how the new system will be regulated however inspections will be carried out by the 'competent body of the Autonomous Region'.

Although the law is not due to come into effect until 1 June 2013, you can make the necessary arrangements now in order to guarantee that your EPC is in place by the due date.

Contact us
At Sunset Properties Spain we can recommend the services of a reputable local company who will carry out all the necessary paperwork for you. The cost of an EPC starts from €275 including I.V.A.

Please contact Denise for further information either by telephone on 618 295 063 or by email This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Add comment

Security code

Become a Fan

Connected Us